About Rock Sanity
The concept of RockSanity™ had been buzzing about in my head for several years. I played in a local band and was always interested in learning about and obtaining new and different musical equipment. After coming across an article by Steely Dan’s Walter Becker on the subject, I realized that I had Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.). There have been many attempts to define G.A.S. and it is typically described as a strong or uncontrollable urge to acquire new and different musical gear.
My G.A.S. led me to constantly scan Craigslist, eBay, and other markets looking for good deals on interesting amps, guitars, PA equipment, recording stuff, etc. I eventually realized that I did not necessarily need to amass a great deal of gear but, instead, just wanted to explore new sounds and different equipment, acquiring new gear and holding on to the stuff that I liked best while trading or selling the rest. Each time, I would find something new and part with something once cherished.
This process of “out with the old, in with the new” has allowed my G.A.S. pains to be relieved, at least temporarily, without requiring me to mortgage my house or find a new wife. Yet this process is not without difficulties. Some of the issues I have found are:
- Trying to buy/sell locally can be very difficult. It is often hard to find specific desired items locally and finding local buyers for high-end gear is often impossible.
- Craigslist does not allow searches outside of one’s home area. To reach other areas, one must go to each city individually and Craigslist does not allow listing one’s gear for sale in more that one locale.
- Buying or selling large/heavy items on eBay or other national sites can result in very expensive shipping.
RockSanity™ was developed to assist those with G.A.S. pains by making learning about new and different gear easier (check out the TalkBox feature) and by allowing users to find, buy, sell, and trade gear with other users in their local market, in ever-expanding markets (e.g. within 20 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles, 200 miles, 500 miles, etc.) or nationally. RockSanity allows users to list all their gear they no longer use or want (their Rockpile) and to list desired items (their G.A.S. list).
When you see an item you are interested in on someone’s Rockpile, you can:
- Use the TalkBox to make comments, ask questions, and review other’s opinions about the item
- Contact the seller directly via TalkBox or private message to make offer, buy, etc.
- Contact the seller via TalkBox and ask him to review your Rockpile to see if you have anything he may be willing to trade for.
RockSanity™ was also developed to help foster the sense of community among musicians and with venues and music related vendors. The TalkBox feature serves as a forum for opinions, questions, and exchanges of ideas related to music, venues and musical gear. The Bands and Venues sections allow musicians and venues to communicate with each other and were designed to promote and enhance live music in the community.
I hope you will use this site and will encourage others to do so as well. I think RockSanity can be the G.A.S. relief you are looking for and so much more.
Founder & CEO of RockSanity.com
Visit us on Facebook!